Sunday, January 25, 2009

A day with Underpriviledged children

Finally I have decided to jot down something after quite a long time, nearly 4 months. As always I write and think only when I am alone, which means in the last few months I have really been occupied with my work, new found friends, and rumours of recession, which partly have been true as well. This one is for all my friends who have been under the clamour of job insecurity and uncertain market conditions thereby leading to the fear psychosis. Read through what follows and you wouldnt really feel that there is so much to worry about.

Of late I have been visiting a few different places, where I can be of some service socially. This has ranged from visits to schools to Old Age homes. This last one was with a team from Microsoft to this place where there were these underpriviledged kids who had been either found in the railway station working to begging on the streets or abandoned by their parents. I was spellbound to say the least by the talent exhibited by these future stars of our country. These children have a beautiful range of talent starting from painting to acting.

The thing which impressed me about them, was their thinking, which was positive and always forward looking, along with their awareness of the society as a whole, this was commendable because the people about whom I am talking about are in the age group of 6-14 years of age.
The cute enactment of a skit to make people aware of our environment and the importance of trees in that, to the aspirations they have in life, everywhere there was maturity in demonstration and a sense of responsibility in them.

There were about 150 small youngies, and we were a group of around 30 volunteers, with loads of prizes and gifts for these children, which offcourse made them happy, and also us a happy lot to see them so excited. For the first time, I felt as if I was giving back something to the society from which I have got a lot. There was a sense of satisfaction, which I havent even got when meeting with success either in work or academics.

The thing which stood out for me, in the evening we spent with the kids was one boy, who a bit different from the group, didnt want to become an engineer or a doctor or an actor, but wanted to become the HOME MINISTER of our country, because he wanted to make India a better place to live, before you start thinking how old this boy might have been, let me tell you he was only 6. I don't think I even knew what a home minister is supposed to do, at his age.

Finally to wrap up the day, I was presented with a beautiful piece of drawing, which showed the pure thoughts of a small boy, who had drawn all kinds of birds, with the clean water and fishes in it, and the sun and clouds were all smiling !! This to me, summed up the souls with whom we interacted.

To sum it up, I have become a lot more secure and happy with what I am doing, would encourage all who have the capability to contribute to the society in their own capacity and make this world a better place to live in. I have now learnt a lesson from this younger lot, who although young but have a fresher outlook to life than most of us, who have been running around in this fierce competitive world, trying to outwit one another.

Cheers! Hope you liked what you read, and sorry if it was a bit boring.

No comments: